Friday, April 19, 2013

&c.



Note: this partly a found poem, pulled from the pages of the
Kentucky Gazette and general advertiser, July 29, 1806, found
at the digital public library of America (www.dp.la)


My head aches
from changes in pressure
and my vision swims,
replacing what I know is here
with a vision
I’ve only seen in history collections.
I stand
in front of
T H E B U F F A L O E
whose table
is plentifully supplied
with the best viands
the season can afford,
next door to
Trotter & Tilford,
newly stocked with
M E R C H A N D I Z E
received from Philadelphia:
fancy callicoes and chintzes
Longhorn and Dunstable bonnets
&c.
&c.
&c.
for cash in hand,
but my hands are empty
and my pockets
only hold plastic
so I turn back,
saddened
by what is lost
along the road
and burned
from our collective
memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment